From BaltimoreVelo reader Jon:
Come enjoy fall and explore the Baltimore metro area via the Patapsco and Gwynn Falls river valleys. The ~45 mile “road adventure” ride will go through a spectacular variety of neighborhoods and scenery, and a few historic and out of the way places that you probably never knew existed. We’ll start off in historic Ellicott City, and then work our way north on the roads through the Holofield and Daniels areas of the Patapsco Valley. From there, we’ll cut over to the start of one of Baltimore’s best kept secrets – the Gwynn Falls Trail. The trail offers unique views and history of Baltimore, and a potential for future single track. We’ll work our way from the quiet woods and streams to the modern and bustling Inner Harbor. From Federal Hill, we’ll continue the trail along the harbor until we reach the Patapsco river again. We’ll ride the back streets and roads along the Patapsco river valley back to historic Ellicott City, including the Grist Mill trail through the Avalon area of Patapsco State Park.
- Date and Time: Saturday, September 29th. Meet at 9:15 am, roll-out at 9:30 am sharp.
- Distance/Pace: 45+ miles, casual+ pace. Will not be fast paced, but not suitable for beginners either due distance and variety of riding conditions.
- Start: Meet at the lower parking lot in historic Ellicott City, 1241 Oella Ave.
- Elevation: We’ll mostly follow the river valleys with minimal climbing, but expect a few climbs out of the valley.
- Terrain: This is a road ride on pavement, but there will be a couple dirt/gravel surprises. A smooth rolling 28-35 mm tire with good flat protection is recommended, but anything short of a race bike or rugged mountain bike will be fine. Small sections of the ride will also be on busy streets.
- Bring the usual ride supplies: water, adult beverages, snacks, tools, pump, tube, patch kit, etc.
Keep up with ride updates at the MORE website thread.