Tuesday, Baltimore Velo whet your appetite with an appetizer explaining why HB 339, the proposed mandatory helmet law, is a bad idea. This morning, Nate Evans gives us a main course. His editorial over at B’more Bikes is well thought out, and you should read it.
It outlines why the law is such a huge step backward in 5 ways:
- Helmet use has not been proven to consistently improve safety
- It can be construed as discriminatory to Hispanics and African Americans
- The current law–mandatory for cyclists under 16 years of age–is not broken
- It will increase friction among cyclists and police
- It will stunt Baltimore’s tremendous cycling growth